2.05.2011

I'm NERVOUS!!!!

Tomorrow morning bright and early, I will have to force myself out of bed, get dressed in a groggy haze of alertness and go to the early service at church. We NEVER go to the early service unless something like this forces us to! I have to make my legs work, one in front of the other, walk up onto the platform and get behind the podium. I have to give my testimony! EEK!!! Wait? What exactly is a testimony? I mean we hear the word in church and other times but what exactly are we looking for? I looked it up. It is simply a formal written or spoken statement. And I am supposed to be talking specifically of how EE or Evangelism Explosion impacted my life and how I met Jesus. So here goes everything! I'm just going to be praying that my legs don't collapse and my thoat doesn't close up and my face doesn't look like a tomato! I'm def going to be wearing makeup tomorrow :-) Maybe it will hide my uneasiness! Ok, here it is!

My Uncle was going through a rough time in his marriage. He asked us if we would go to church with him. So, my Mom brought us here. I didn’t grow up in a church but I also didn’t grow up not believing that there was a god of some kind. It just wasn’t important in our house to learn about Him. So going to church wasn’t too awkward. The awkward part came when Pastor set up a time to come to our house and “get to know us a little bit.” I just turned 16. I just got my license that day. I didn’t want to get to know a pastor. What did that mean anyway? What was he going to say? Isn’t it weird to ask if you can come over? So I, in my slightly rebellious nature, was trying every way to get out of it. But my Mom wouldn’t let me. She told me I had to be home at a certain time because the Pastor was going to be there. As I was pulling into the drive way they were walking up to the door. I say they because there were 3 of them, Pastor and 2 kids from the youth group. My stomach started to churn. I was nervous. I was thinking,”seriously mom, why are you making me do this?” I went inside and sat down at the table. And in his usual way, Pastor started talking and made everyone feel more comfortable. I’m pretty sure we didn’t jump right into what the Bible says about Jesus but that is all I remember. I remember him showing us the Bible and telling us who Jesus was. Then he asked the question,” If you died right now and Jesus was waiting for you in heaven, and he asked you why he should let you into his heaven, what would you say?” In my head, it was clear to me that I didn’t have any reason why He should let me in. And I answered,” I really don’t know.” And then Pastor told me that I could know Jesus and that he would forgive me for my sins because He took the payment that I deserved. My life was forever changed when my sin was revealed to me and Jesus was made known to me. I was grateful after that, that my mom had forced me to come home and that a pushy Pastor had made an appointment to come and get to know us a little bit! My name is Krystle Hummer, and so you don’t have to ask, I’ve been here for 10 years!

No comments: